Windows have acquired most of the computer user market, and if it comes to stability and price, then they are always the first choice of every user throughout the world. Though Microsoft stays pretty concerned regarding the flaws and issues of the Windows system, still there are some primary errors in the OS. One of the errors that Windows users face a lot is Update Error Code 0x80240fff; that interrupts the installation of the updates.
As we know how essential updates are for the operating systems, the error stops us from using the latest function. Here in this workaround, we are sharing all the information that can be very useful in fixing the Update Error Code 0x80240fff. Make sure you follow all the steps wisely to prevent any software related issue to your computer system.
- Solution: Using Windows Update Troubleshooter
This method process includes using the Windows update troubleshooter to tackle Update Error Code 0x80240fff. If you want to execute this method, then follow the steps below:
- Make sure your PC has an internet connection to implement this resort.
- Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows + X key.
- Type troubleshooter in the search section and tap on it after it appears.
- Now, select the option of Fix problems with Windows Updates beneath the System and Security tab.
- After applying all these steps, the troubleshooting process will begin.
- Solution: Rebooting the BITS
This method requires to restart your PC Background Intelligent Transfer Services. If you want to try this method, then follow the following steps:
- Open the Search bar by pressing the Windows + R key.
- In the search bar, type services.msc to launch the BITS.
- When the Background Intelligent Transfer Service option appears, do a right-click on it.
- Now, go for the option of Properties.
- After this, locate the General tab and select the option of Automatic Delayed Start.
- Now, check whether the service has started or not. If it’s not, then tap on the Start option.
If you have already used this fix before to troubleshoot the following error problem, then try another method written below.
- Solution: Using Windows 10 Defer Updates
This method execution includes deferring Windows updates. If you would like to try this resort, then follow the steps below:
- To apply this method, you must have Windows 10 Pro installed on your PC.
- Tap on the Windows Update Settings option.
- Locate and select the option of Advanced.
- Now, choose the option of Defer Updates.
- After this, check to install the updates and see if the issue persists or not.
- Solution: Using the Media Creation Tool
As discussed above, the Defer updates method is not appropriate for the Windows Home users, so in that case, you need to take help from the Media Creation Tool. Use the Media Creation Tool and tackle the update error.
- Solution: Recovering Components of Windows Update
In the following method, we will use the Command Prompt at the administration level. Make sure you have some knowledge regarding the command prompt. Follow the steps below, if you want to know how to use this method:
- Open the search bar and type “cmd” in it.
- It will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type all these four commands and input them into the Command Prompt section:
- net stop msiserver + Enter.
- net stop wuauserv + Enter.
- net stop bits + Enter.
- net stop cryptSvc + Enter.
- After completing the above step, now again type:
- ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old + Enter.
- ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old + Enter.
- Wait till they successful launch and then input these commands:
- net start wuauserv + Enter.
- net start cryptSvc + Enter.
- net start bits + Enter.
- net start msiserver + Enter.
- Wait till they have successfully launched.
- Now, restart your Windows PC.
- Solution: Disabling the Windows Firewall
The cause behind the Error Code 0x80240fff can also be due to some malfunction issue occurring in the Windows Firewall of your PC. If you would like to execute this method, then follow the steps below:
- Open the Search bar by pressing the Windows + R keys together.
- Type control panel in the search bar menu.
- Tap on the Control Panel option once it appears.
- Now, choose the System and Security from the Control Panel menu.
- Locate the option for Windows Firewall.
- Tap the option of Firewall.
- Now, on the left side, there must be an option to Turn Windows Firewall on/off.
- Select the option of Turn off windows firewall in private and public network options to begin the disable process of Windows Firewall.
- Solution: Try Running a File Checkup Process
The flaws in the update process can also be occurred due to file corruption; to implement the resort, you need to scan your PC and run a file checkup process. If you want to know how to apply this method, then follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R key together and launch the search tab on your PC.
- Now, type “cmd” to open the Command Prompt.
- After the Command Prompt section opens, input the sfc /scannow into the Command Prompt section.
- Tap Enter key to proceed further.
- Wait till the command is successfully launched; after that, restart your computer system.
- Solution: Check Disk Corruption
If you want to implement this method to fix the Update Error Code 0x80240fff, then follow the steps below:
- Launch the search bar by pressing the shortcut key Windows + R together.
- Type “cmd” into the search bar to open the Command Prompt.
- You need to run the command prompt as an Administrator.
- Start inputting the command chkdsk /f in the Command Prompt section.
- Tap the enter key to launch the command successfully.
- Reboot your device after the process completes.
Kellie Minton is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.